Come work with us: We’re looking for a Research Officer!
Do you want to research the next Laureates of the Right Livelihood Award?
Established in 1980, Right Livelihood honours and supports courageous people solving global problems. Annually, we present four awards to visionary change-makers providing exemplary solutions for a just, peaceful and sustainable world. In total, there are now 186 Laureates from 73 countries leading pioneering change across the globe. Each year, we receive nominations from around the world through an open process allowing anyone to submit nominations. After thorough research, our Jury made up of international experts and previous Laureates chooses that year’s most outstanding nominees. To expand these research activities and the scope of our research as a whole, we are now hiring a Research Officer to be an integral part of this development.
- Conducting desk & background research on nominees for the Award, including by reaching out to and interviewing external experts.
- Planning, preparation and conducting of field visits to certain nominees in their home countries/countries of work.
- Carrying out broader research into topics of interest to the Right Livelihood Foundation and Right Livelihood Laureates, particularly drawing upon and analysing the raw data collected from the selection process.
- Administering incoming nominations for the Right Livelihood Award, including corresponding with nominees and nominators, and ensuring complete dossiers are received.
- Assisting with the coordination of the yearly jury meeting of the Right Livelihood Award, liaising with jury members and host venues around logistical matters.
Experience & Required Qualifications
- Minimum 2 years of relevant work experience
- Full professional proficiency in English is required.
- Master’s Degree, or equivalent level qualification, e.g. in social sciences, law, or environmental sciences
- Outstanding interpersonal skills including the ability to interact and work collaboratively with staff, jury members and engaging with nominees in a highly professional, confidential and tactful manner
- Experience in conducting detailed research into topics such as human rights, sustainability, preferably including conducting interviews
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suit, experience with database navigation and/or data analysis would be considered an advantage.
Additional desired qualifications
- Professional proficiency in French or Spanish, or other languages would be considered an advantage.
- Previous experience of drafting and compiling reports involving condensing large quantities of information into a concise yet thorough piece of work.
Your role in the team
You will be an integral part of a highly motivated international team and work closely with the Research Manager. The role allows for professional and personal development while researching some of the world’s most outstanding activists and organisations. While reporting to and working in close cooperation with the Research Manager, located in Geneva, there is also a degree of autonomy and ownership of the work conducted, in that you will be largely leading the research into the nominees most applicable to your skillset.
Terms of employment
This is a one-year full-time position, extendable by mutual agreement to a permanent position. The position can be based either in the Foundation’s office in Geneva, Switzerland or in the head office in Stockholm, Sweden.
Occasional global travel may be required as part of the position, once regular international travel resumes.
Estimated start date: January 4-10, 2022
How to apply
To apply for the position, please email a copy of your CV as well as a short cover letter outlining what relevant work experience you have that you can bring to this role. This letter should also include a description of what topics and current affairs you see as being the most pressing, challenging or significant in the world today and moving forward. (250 – 500 words). Please also indicate for which of the two possible locations (Stockholm or Geneva) you are applying.
For questions about the application process, please contact Adam McBeth at email@example.com.
Deadline for applications is October 20, 2021.
Get to know us better here.